Dementia Friendly Businesses:
- Brooks Howell Home
- Asheville Art Museum
- Americare Pharmacy
- Alleman Law Firm
We have also trained the following organizations:
- High Country AAA (Boone)
- Land-of-Sky Regional Council & Senior Companions
- LaurelWood Apartments
- MAHEC Medical Assistants
- Odyssey Clay Studios
- Shiloh Community Center Women’s Group
- Telephone Support Group – Open for anyone that would like support, but have limed access to in-person support groups. For more information, please call 1.800.272.3900.
- Google Chat Support Group – Virtual/online support group for all caregivers. For more information, contact the facilitator Drew at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.800.272.3900.
- 3rd Wednesdays, 6pm- LGBT Community Support Group Location: Premier Home Health Care Services, 1550 Hendersonville Rd, Suite 210, Facilitated by Derek Parris (828) 277-5950 email@example.com
- 2nd Wednesdays, 6pm- Asheville PACE – CarePartners 286 Overlook Rd. Facilitated by Jennifer McDuff (828) 808-3606 Jennifer.McDuff@msj.org
- 2nd Tuesdays, 6pm- Aston Park Health Care Center – (Auditorium) 380 Brevard Road Facilitated by Marina Morris (828) 253-4437 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4th Tuesdays, 5:30pm- Haywood County, Waynesville – First United Methodist Church 566 South Haywood St Facilitated by Marian Badgley, (828) 926-0018
- 2nd Tuesdays, 1:30p- Jackson County, Cullowhee – Western Carolina University College of Health and Human Sciences; Room 115 4121 Little Savannah Road Facilitated by Dr. Leigh Odom, (828) 227-3834, KMOdom@email.wcu.edu
- 4th Thursdays- Caregiver Support Group/Transylvania County. CarePartners Adult Day/Transylvania Campus – 23 Medical Park Dr., Brevard (open to the public). Contact Nicole Petit 862-6970 for information.
- Last Tuesdays- Pardee Support Group/Henderson County. CarePartners Adult Day/Flat Rock Campus – 114 College Dr., Flat Rock (open to the public). Contact Ann Nichols 697-7070 for information.
- 3rd Wednesdays-Caregiver Support Group/Buncombe County. Club CarePartners Building/CarePartners Main Campus – 8 Rotary Dr., Asheville (open to the public). Contact Kenya Miles 277-3399 for information.
Dementia/Caregiver Support Group (Henderson)
- 3rd Tuesdays, 1:30-3:00pm, First Methodist Church: 204 6th Ave W, Hendersonville, NC 28739
This meeting is for all caregivers who are dealing with family or friends diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease or any other form of dementia. As we go through this journey together, we will learn from each other skills and techniques to make the best of this difficult journey.
The care receiver program is provided a the same time for loved ones.
For more information, call Lisa: 828-696-9799
Memory Loss Navigators (Buncombe)
- 2nd Thursdays, 1-2:30pm, Biltmore Methodist
- 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 9:30-11am, Givens Highland Farms (Black Mountain)
- 3rd Tuesdays, 1-2:30pm, New Hope Presbyterian
Initial interviews with prospective members are required. Each group is limited to 8-10 participants to ensure that all have sufficient time to engage and share. People with a diagnosis and care partners meet separately. Please contact Mel Kelley at email@example.com or 828-301-0529 for more info or to schedule a home visit.
The Memory Lane Cafe (Henderson)
- 2nd Mondays 1-3:00pm, Mud Creek Baptist Church (Hendersonville)
No registration is necessary but those with a diagnosis must be accompanied by a caregiver unless they drive themselves to The Memory Lane.
For more information, call Patty @ 828.692.1262 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Memory Cafe (McDowell)
Memory Cafe, McDowell Senior Center (Marion)
- Please call the McDowell Senior Center for more details. 828-659-0823.
Both the caregivers and their loved one or clients with dementia/Alzheimers are invited to participate in the monthly McDowell Memory Café. All participants with dementia/Alzheimers must be accompanied by a caregiver for the café.
Registration Required: Weyland Prebor at the McDowell Senior Center at 828-659-0821.
Alzheimer/Dementia Caregiver Support meetings in McDowell County
Date: Held on the last Tuesday of every month
Location: McDowell County Senior Center
Address: 100 Spaulding Rd, Marion, NC 28752
Contact Information: Lisa Ellis- 828-442-8631 or mailto:email@example.com
Memory Support Groups (Henderson)
- Every Thursday afternoon 1:30-3:15pm, Mud Creek Baptist Church (Hendersonville)
Two separate groups, one for those in the early- to mid- stages of Alzheimer’s or other dementia and of for their spouses/significant others, work top provide community, hope and encouragement. Participation each week is not required; attendance will vary with individual needs. Group size is limited and registration is required.
For more information, call Patty at 828-632-1262 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dementia Connections: We have led various training workshops for the community to describe early warning signs of dementia, communication techniques and action items to become Dementia Friendly. These can be found here.