Why become a dementia friendly business?
Retain existing customers. If customers who have dementia and their family caregivers don’t find it easy to use a specific business, they will likely seek out another.
Attract new customers. 60% of North Americans with dementia live at home, often with support from families, friends, and the community. Staying engaged in community life means using the businesses that are easy to navigate and have helpful, aware staff.
Receive recognition on our website. Your business’ name and logo will be placed on this page and you will receive a window cling acknowledging your training.
In this video from HelpForAlzheimersFamilies.com, dementia friendly principles allow the Garner family to feel welcomed, supported, and acknowledged by their local businesses.
A dementia friendly organization is one in which people living with dementia can comfortably interact with others and receive services. Staff and management embrace dementia friendly service and communication. Recognized businesses and organizations take steps to make their spaces inclusive and easy to navigate.
Awareness sessions can be offered in 30 minutes (or longer). Participants learn:
- Basic dementia facts
- How to communicate effectively with customers who have dementia
- Environmental changes that make physical space easier to navigate
- Dementia friendly business strategies & personalized action plan
- Principles of Dementia Friendly America & Dementia Friendly WNC
We invite you to create a unique differentiator to your business model. Please join us in strengthening our Dementia Friendly WNC community.
Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Contact Us
Dementia Friendly Businesses
- Asheville Art Museum
- Bio One
- Americare Pharmacy
- Alleman Law Firm
- Brooks-Howell Home
- Wildwood Herbals
We have also trained the following organizations:
- Asheville City Transit
- Black Mountain Kiwanis Club
- Buncombe County Library Education Team
- Council on Aging Volunteers
- Habitat for Humanity
- High Country Area Agency on Aging (Boone)
- Jewish Family Services Staff
- Land of Sky Regional Council & Senior Companions
- Laurel Wood Apartments
- MAHEC medical assistants
- Odyssey Clay Studios
- Pisgah Estates
- Shiloh Community Center women’s group
- Senior Companions at Area Agency on Aging LOS